[Live-devel] Coding rules

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Aug 10 12:00:08 PDT 2004

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:20:36 -0700, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live.com>
wrote:

>>  Am I allowed to use the STL classes
>
> You can use these (or anything else) for your own implementation.
> However, the distributed "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code won't include
> any code that relies upon the STL library.  The reason for this is that
> I want to ensure that this code will continue to be usable within
> embedded systems (and other resource-constrained environments).  I'm
> worried that the inclusion of the STL library may make binaries
> unreasonably large for many environments.

Ross,

This is a very valid concern but afaik it does depend on the
implementation of the particular STL library. For example, if it
is implemented as a set of template functions, they will only
be instantiated as they are referenced. You won't need to drag in
the whole library if all you are using is one container and a couple
of algorithms.

You probably know all this anyway, but just in case you didn't.

Dermot.