[Live-devel] Birates in Video-Streams

Florian Winter fw at graphics.cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Aug 10 20:01:15 PDT 2004

Ross Finlayson wrote:

>> And another problem is setting this rmem_maxsize value. This value
>> could only be changed by root. So you have to call your system
>> administrator cause you would see a streaming video. I don't know
>> about your system administrator but here they aren't really happy
>> about this questions. :-)
>

> That's why you can, instead, call "increaseReceiveBufferTo()" in your
> receiver (application) code.

with increaseReceiveBufferTo() you can increase the socket receive
buffer size only up to the value in /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max. this
means you have to do both: call this method and change the configuration
in /proc.

this requires that anyone who wants to view high quality video streams
with a libLiveMedia based application needs to have
1. root privileges
2. knowledge about his OS that most average users don't have