[Live-devel] Compilation error on Solaris SunOs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Aug 17 19:39:56 PDT 2004

>Then i launched testOnDemandRTSPServer and try to play some videos: using
>VLC client and QuickTime player i requested an MPEG1 program stream and
>only the audio was playing not the video. Does anybody know about
>something like that ? Also i tried to play using VLC client a transport
>stream MPEG2 video which i got from VBRICK but client did not play
>anything while server was sending when i snoop it.

FYI, I took a look at your files.

The MP3 and MPEG Transport Stream files stream OK.  (Note, though, that
QuickTime Player cannot play these streams - blame Apple :-)

Your MPEG Program Stream file turns out to have been very badly encoded:
1/ Each 'Video Sequence Header' is preceded by an (often large) sequence of
zero bytes - in violation of the MPEG specs.  This was confusing the
LIVE.COM MPEG parsing code.  I have now installed a new version
(2004.08.17) that better handles files like this.
2/ Several of your video frames contain an unusually large number of MPEG
'slices', each with the same vertical position.  Although this may not
violate the MPEG specification, it is very unusual, and produces large
numbers of very small RTP packets (and thus inefficient network bandwidth
usage) when such a file is streamed.

If you try using a different MPEG Program Stream file - one that has been
encoded properly - you should get better results.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>