[Live-devel] Compilation error on Solaris SunOs

Karim Belem kbelem at callisto.ca
Wed Aug 18 14:39:36 PDT 2004

Thanks again to Ross for his really good support.
My answers and questions are below following each point.

Karim.

Ross Finlayson wrote:

>> Then i launched testOnDemandRTSPServer and try to play some videos:
>> using VLC client and QuickTime player i requested an MPEG1 program
>> stream and only the audio was playing not the video. Does anybody
>> know about something like that ? Also i tried to play using VLC
>> client a transport stream MPEG2 video which i got from VBRICK but
>> client did not play anything while server was sending when i snoop it.
>

> FYI, I took a look at your files.
>
> The MP3 and MPEG Transport Stream files stream OK.  (Note, though,
> that QuickTime Player cannot play these streams - blame Apple :-)

With which player can i try to play the tramsport stream on a PC? I
tried with VLC it displays the 1st frame and froze.

> Your MPEG Program Stream file turns out to have been very badly encoded:
> 1/ Each 'Video Sequence Header' is preceded by an (often large)
> sequence of zero bytes - in violation of the MPEG specs.  This was
> confusing the LIVE.COM MPEG parsing code.  I have now installed a new
> version (2004.08.17) that better handles files like this.
> 2/ Several of your video frames contain an unusually large number of
> MPEG 'slices', each with the same vertical position.  Although this
> may not violate the MPEG specification, it is very unusual, and
> produces large numbers of very small RTP packets (and thus inefficient
> network bandwidth usage) when such a file is streamed.

I downloaded the latest version and tried to stream that file to
QuickTime player and VLC also but only the 1st frame was displayed and
the sound plays badly.

> If you try using a different MPEG Program Stream file - one that has
> been encoded properly - you should get better results.

I did try another MPEG1 file and it works. Thanks.