[Live-devel] WMV RTSP support for openRTSP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Dec 6 10:56:08 PST 2004

At 09:08 PM 12/5/04, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>         I wonder if openRTSP works well with Windows Media Server 9 .  I
> attempted to receive stream data by " ./openRTSP -s 0
> -t  rtsp://192.168.10.218/test.wmv "

This is correct.  (You could also try streaming via UDP - i.e., without the
"-t" option - although that probably won't make any difference.)

>  ,and I got  three files , audio-X-ASF-PF-1, application-X-WMS-RTX-2 and
> video-X-ASF-PF-3. Unfortunately, the video file was empty.

That means that no RTP packets for the video stream were sent at all.  I
don't know why, but perhaps Microsoft requires their own proprietary
extension to RTSP in order to get this data??  There does not seem to be a
problem with "openRTSP".

Another thing you could try is to ask *only* for the video stream:
         ./openRTSP -s 0 -v rtsp://192.168.10.218/test.wmv > video.out
(Perhaps also add the "-t" option (for TCP streaming) and the "-V" option
(to get verbose debugging output).)  If you do this, the file "video.out"
will end up with any video stream data that you receive.

>Why there were unknow errors?

Those errors occurred because there was a problem with IP multicast on your
computer.  Fortunately, it did not cause a major problem for "openRTSP"
(because the stream that it was trying to read used unicast, not multicast).

>Should I subclass a special  RTPsource for mime type X-ASF-PF rather than
>using SimpleRTPSource?

That won't help.  You are not receiving video stream data in any
case.  (Also, you would need to know the RTP payload format that Microsoft
uses for the "video/X-ASF-PF-3" MIME type.  I don't know if this is
documented anywhere.

Unfortunately, in general you just cannot expect Microsoft software to be
standards compliant.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>