[Live-devel] disabling RTCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Dec 7 06:11:29 PST 2004

>In Debug mode : each RTCPInstance::incomingReportHandler() call takes
>around 8 secs.

Then your "Debug mode" is clearly broken.

> > Note, BTW, that
> > the information in RTCP Sender Reports are used for audio/video time
> > synchronization.  If you disable RTCP, then you won't be able to
> > synchronize audio and video.
>
>You mean in a "live" scenario ? But in a "content on demand" scenario
>with RTSP (e.g. Hinted MP4 file + ISMA server), I can synchronize on rtp
>timestamps without taking care of any RTCP Sender Report, no ?

No, because the mapping of RTP timestamps to 'presentation time' is done
using RTCP Sender Reports.

RTCP *must* be implemented in order for audio and video RTP streams to be
properly synchronized.  See
<http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#separate-rtp-streams>

>Other question just for my understanding of the implementation :
>When you say "you won't be able to synchronize audio and video", are you
>referring to the computation of "resultPresentationTime" in
>RTPReceptionStats::noteIncomingPacket() ?

Yes.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>