[Live-devel] disabling RTCP

Frederic Bouilhaguet bouilhaguet at resonate-mp4.com
Tue Dec 7 16:37:25 PST 2004

> >... But in a "content on demand"
> scenario
> >with RTSP (e.g. Hinted MP4 file + ISMA server), I can synchronize on
> >rtp timestamps without taking care of any RTCP Sender Report, no ?
>
> No, because the mapping of RTP timestamps to 'presentation
> time' is done
> using RTCP Sender Reports.
>
> RTCP *must* be implemented in order for audio and video RTP
> streams to be
> properly synchronized.  See
> <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#separate-rtp-streams>

But if all RTP-TimeStamps are already mapped on MPEG
Composition-TimeStamps (ie CTS) of the media frames by the
RTP-Packetizer of the server, I do not need the server "wall clock" to
know when to present/compose the media frames... Am I wrong ?

> >Other question just for my understanding of the
> implementation : When
> >you say "you won't be able to synchronize audio and video", are you
> >referring to the computation of "resultPresentationTime" in
> >RTPReceptionStats::noteIncomingPacket() ?

I must say that, when using Darwin Streaming Server and MP4 hinted files
on the server side, I've noticed that the computed presentationTime was
ramdomly wrong for some audio/video frame (i.e. not the expected CTS
value of the original MP4 file). Comming back to RTP-TimeStamps solved
my problem. Am I the only one in this situation ?

Frederic