[vlc-devel] Re: [Live-devel] h264 streaming using rtp/rtsp

Hussain conundrums at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 12:00:21 PST 2004

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:31:58 -0800, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live.com> wrote:

> >I would like to stream h.264 encoded video content using rtp/rtsp from
> >the Darwin server, and would like to play it back using VLC.
> [...]
> >2.  I did download the latest live.com codes today, and it seems I
> >would need to add modules in order to stream h.264 content. If I
> >understood things properly I would need to create h264RTPSource, and
> >h264RTPSink classes. Is this correct?
>
> Almost.  To play *incoming* H.264/RTP streams using VLC (or some other
> client), there need only be a "H264VideoRTPSource" class.  (You would need
> a "H264VideoRTPSink" only for streaming outgoing H.264/RTP streams - e.g.,
> using the LIVE.COM RTSP server implementation.)
>
> To stream H.264 video from the Darwin RTSP server, however, you will need a
> properly 'hinted' ".mp4" or ".mov"-format file.

Hi Ross, thanks for the advice. Also I have just one more question.
Its not exactly related to LIVE.COM code, but I was hoping you might
be able to help me out here.

I have been able to hint the video clips I have using mpeg4ip, and
have been able to stream it with Darwin. Of course as you can imagine,
VLC is currently unable to play it. However my quesiton is that; is
Darwin streaming the h264 video content in a non-standard way. For as
you mentioned I would only need to write a "H264VideoRTPSink" only for
streaming outgoing H.264/RTP streams. Would this mean that changes
would theorectically be needed at the Darwin server, or that I should
expect to deal with a sort of non-standard complient stream from the
Darwin server. Or have I missed understood something?

Thanks.
Hussain.