[Live-devel] h264 streaming using rtp/rtsp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Dec 13 07:43:59 PST 2004

>I have been able to hint the video clips I have using mpeg4ip, and
>have been able to stream it with Darwin. Of course as you can imagine,
>VLC is currently unable to play it. However my quesiton is that; is
>Darwin streaming the h264 video content in a non-standard way.

This depends on how the file was 'hinted'.  (Darwin Streaming Server
doesn't know anything about the contents/format of the files that it
streams; it just transmits RTP packets using the file's 'hint track'.)  But
if the file was 'hinted' correctly, then Darwin will be streaming the
H.264/RTP data in the standard, IETF-compliant way, and VLC will need only
an updated "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" library - containing a new
"H264VideoRTPSource" class - in order to play it.

>  For as
>you mentioned I would only need to write a "H264VideoRTPSink" only for
>streaming outgoing H.264/RTP streams. Would this mean that changes
>would theorectically be needed at the Darwin server

No.  A "H264VideoRTPSink" class - being LIVE.COM code - is necessary only
for streaming from a LIVE.COM server.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>