[Live-devel] Re: [vlc-devel] RTSP trickplay support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Dec 21 04:30:45 PST 2004

>>If not, is there something in the SDP description that will indicate
>>this?  (Does the SDP description for such streams still contain anything
>>useful in the RTP payload format code field (on the "m=" line)?)
>
>In the case of the Kasenna, there is. In RTSPClient we have both
>fServerIsKasenna
>and fKasennaContentType. Either would be good enough as a guard around this
>statement. At the moment, when translating from x-rtsp-mh to SDP, we don't
>pass
>the fKasennaContentType in the SDP but that should be possible.
>
>I just tried a quick if (fServerIsKasenna) guard around this statement, but
>it is a member variable of RTSPClient and I'm not sure that MediaSession is
>supposed to be reading variables from this object.

No, definitely not.  The "MediaSession" object works from SDP descriptions,
but doesn't know anything about RTSP.  (Note that it's possible to play a
(multicast) stream using its SDP description - e.g., by reading a ".sdp"
file - without using RTSP.)  So, the "MediaSession" object can use only
information that comes from SDP descriptions.

>Could I ask the question another way - There was support for raw UDP
>streams in
>the codebase before I came along. Why was it introduced?

There was support for receiving streams of raw UDP packets, but not for
describing such streams in SDP.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>