[Live-devel] Multicast communication problem with different OS!

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sun Jan 4 19:43:30 PST 2004

>Windows 2000 and linux redhat (by VMware)
>are installed on my computer.The problem is:
>1) the server and client are successful if they are running in the same OS.
>2) the server side and client side cannot communicate if they are
>seperated and run on
>different OS respectively.

Two possibilities:
1/ The "TTL" of your outgoing multicast packets is too low.
2/ VMWare's emulation of networking between its two hosted OSs (Windows
2000 and Linux) does not support multicast.

Note, however, that this mailing list is for discussion of the "LIVE.COM
Streaming Media" software.  Is this what you are using?  If not, you should
probably ask your question on another mailing list - e.g.,
"ipmulticast at multicasttech.com".

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>