[Live-devel] Is it possible to send and receive data (media files) with out having any server.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Jan 15 11:15:23 PST 2004

At 09:44 PM 1/14/04, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>              I have downloaded rtp stack open source code. I want
> understand the basic functionality of the RTP stack by executing some
> sample programs, which will use this RTP stack. I want test like sending
> and receiving wav over RTP stack.
>
>Initially I don't want use RTSP or SIP. I just want to see sending and
>receiving wav files over RTP stack. Can you please some help me in this regard.
>
>If it is possible to built both server and client with the available to
>open sources on live.com help me in doing the same.

Seshu,

Please take a closer look at
<http://www.live.com/liveMedia/#testProgs>.  There are several programs
there that you can use to evaluate and understand the software.  In
particular, I suggest looking at "testMP3Streamer" and "testMP3Receiver".

Also, for streaming from a WAV audio file, you can use the
"testWAVAudioStreamer" test program.  Note, though, that this has a
built-in RTSP server (and so you'll need a RTSP client to receive this
stream).  The reason for using RTSP in this case is that some of the stream
parameters - sampling frequency and RTP payload format - can vary,
depending on the type of audio that's in the WAV file, and RTSP is the best
way to convey these parameters to receivers.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>