[Live-devel] Streaming Redirection

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Jan 27 12:11:30 PST 2004

At 07:34 AM 1/27/04, you wrote:
>Hello!
>I'm testing OpenRTSP interaction with some commercial streaming server,
>such as Packet Video server.
>I was wondering if it is possible to use the RTSP client to ask for a
>streaming destined to another IP address, for example a multicast one.

Yes, "openRTSP" can play and record multicast streams (served by a RTSP
server) just fine.  For example, you can use "openRTSP" to play/record the
multicast streams that are sent by the "test*Streamer" test programs that
come with the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" software (provided that you enable
their built-in RTSP server).

"openRTSP" can also play a unicast session, but have a different
application (running on the same computer) receive the data.  (See
<http://www.live.com/openRTSP/#no-receive> for how to do this.)

However, what "openRTSP" currently does not let you do is ask that a
unicast stream be destined to a *different* IP address.  (The RTSP protocol
allows this (see the RTSP spec's discussion of the optional "destination:"
field in the "Transport:" header), but our "RTSPClient" software currently
does not support this.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>