[Live-devel] frame timing problem

xavier nikoxan at mixmail.com
Mon Jul 26 00:33:03 PDT 2004

Hi Ross,

Thanks again for your help with my JPEGVideoSource doubts, now I'm close to reach my goal.

As I told your before, I'm trying to stream a single jpeg image (loaded from a file into
memory) all the time, just for testing purposes before trying it with more images.

My last doubt is about the fPresentationTime and fDurationInMicroseconds values for each
time I deliver my image as a new frame in the play() function. As I don't know a specific
play time duration for this data, I get the current time

    gettimeofday(&fPresentationTime, &timezone_aux);

and nothing more.

Two diferent players (vlc and mplayer) get the image format YUV420 and size of it
(320*240) perfectly. Then, my image appears correctly represented only for a glance and
fastly vanishes into a blue or green screen. Then the player becomes stupid. In the vlc
mailing list, they told me that it was a problem with the timing information for each frame.

Is this time information fPresentationTime enough for an eventual RTP MJPEG player (i.e vlc) ?
Do I have to fill in a value for fDurationInMicroseconds? What difference does it take?
In any case, as it is a still image, I don't know which value to put.

Special Thanks for your time and patience,
	Xavier