[Live-devel] VLC: RTCP bug?

Cavalera Claudio Claudio.Cavalera at icn.siemens.it
Fri Jun 4 17:34:31 PDT 2004

>>VLC assumes that it should send RTCP Receiver Reports to UDP port
>>40001.
>
>That's correct.  Note that having a client "read a SDP file"
>(rather than
>opening a "rtsp://" URL) usually makes sense only for
>multicast sessions,
>because that's usually the only time you know - in advance - what IP
>address and port RTCP reports should be sent to.

So It seems that "push" unicast stream is not considered in the scope of
standard IETF protocols. :-)

>For
>multicast sessions,
>all parties use the same IP address and port number for sending and
>receiving RTCP packets.

When you say "all parties", you mean every host which streams to the
multicast destination address?
I'm asking this because I've seen that live.com testMPEG4Streamer
actually sends/receive RTCP from/to just one UDP port, but it doesn't
seem to join the multicast group to which it sends the stream.
Besides I've read in RFC 3550 (RTP) that in some cases RTCP RR could be
turned off, such as Source Specific Multicast.

>There's no "bug" here.
I suspected that what I called a bug was instead a feature! :-)

Thanks as always.
WFR,
Claudio