[Live-devel] How to recover from parsing exceptional data situation!

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jun 14 04:12:36 PDT 2004

>I have been running live.com library to streaming our mpeg2 source for a
>while. So far the application runs smooth and reliable.
>But I got some inconsistent problem when I switch data source between
>different channels. Sometimes it was fine when I switched channels.
>Sometimes it kept giving me the error msg say
>"MPEG1or2VideoStreamParser::parseSlice(): Saw unexpected code 000001BA".
>And sometimes it took a long time to recover it, sometimes it would not
>recover.
>
>It seems to me that live library do not like switching from different data
>sources. It could not handle exceptional data well. Is there any fast way
>to recover from data exception when switching data source?

Mike,

In your case, the "Saw unexpected code" (and similar) error messages are
inevitable, because the switching between input channels will usually not
happen at a 'clean' place, so the MPEG parsing code will complain for a
while.  However, the MPEG parsing code should be able to recover eventually.

I have just installed a new version (2004.06.14) of the "LIVE.COM Streaming
Media" code (specifically, the "MPEG1or2Demux" class) that should be more
robust in how it handles data like yours.  Please try it, and let us know
if it works better for you.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>