[Live-devel] liveMedia and raw UDP multicast sources

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Jun 22 03:15:33 PDT 2004

So I have been wanting to support all those SDP announces on the MBONE
which use plain UDP multicast and don't use RTP (or even RTSP for that
matter).

With attached patch I can watch (with VLC), VLC and VBrick MPEG TS UDP
multicast streams being announced with their SDP, without trouble.
There are some design issues involved here though. The general idea is
simple, but I think that with the RDT protocol work that Ross is doing
for a customer, and this UDP protocol stuff there should be a more
elegant solution to tackle the problem with non RTP protocols at the
mediasession layer.

I'm unsure how this should be shaped, but i'm sure Ross has better
ideas then my lame fProtocolName :)

Anyways, I have at least proven now that it can be done, like we all
suspected.

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente