[Live-devel] H.263 Video

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jun 30 10:31:41 PDT 2004

At 07:03 AM 6/30/04, you wrote:
>I have switched to trying H.263 video. I want to create a program like
>testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer for H263 content.
>I think I only need to make two changes?
>1. Use H263plusVideoRTPSink in place of MPEG1or2VideoRTPSink.
>2. Use ByteStreamFileSource as my videoSource.
>
>I don't think I need a framer class since the H.263 raw source file is
>already in frames. Is this correct?

David,

"H263plusVideoRTPSink" expects its input to be complete video frames, with
correct presentation times ("fPresentationTime") and durations
("fDurationInMicroseconds").  As your input is coming from a file
("ByteStreamFileSource"), the input (to "H263plusVideoRTPSink") won't be
correct *unless* each frame has a fixed size, and you pass the correct
"preferredFrameSize" and "playTimePerFrame" parameters to
"ByteStreamFileSource::createNew()".  If this is not the case, then you
will need to write a separate 'framer' class that parses the input file
into H.263 frames.

>I think my input video is correct. There are no complaints from the live
>code about unexpected non-zero bytes.
>
>The problem is when I try this I am not able to play the resulting stream.
>I tried VLC but it did not work. No error just switched to the audio box
>with no count. So it did not connect.
>I am not sure if I need to load something more for H.263 support.
>I also tried RealPlayer and Quicktime. I think I may be missing H.263
>plugins but can't find them anywhere.
>
>What do you use to test H.263 video streams?

QuickTime Player usually works well.  But the fact that it doesn't work for
you suggests that perhaps your input data is not correct.

One other thing you could try is using "openRTSP" to record the incoming
stream (after enabling the built-in RTSP server in your streamer
application).  If things are working correctly, then the data recorded by
"openRTSP" should be the same as the data in your original input file.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>