[Live-devel] Some stupid questions

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri May 7 02:49:39 PDT 2004

>1) When the streaming server ( my application ) is on a LAN i can stream
>multicast and play stream on a client machine on the same LAN using VLC or
>Quicktime and the url in the format
>rtsp://url_of_the_machine:7070/testStream ...the players can play the
>stream very well and everything is fine!
>
>2) When the streaming server ( my application ) is NOT a LAN but on a
>machine that has a gprsmodem with a SIM card that, connecting via ppp
>bridge obtains an url from an internet provider , VLC or Quicktime are not
>able to play the url in the format
>rtsp://url_given_from_provider:7070/testStream .
>Why?

Probably because multicast packets don't reach from the streaming server to
your receiver in this case (i.e., IP multicast routing is not enabled
between them).

>Should i stream using unicast?

Yes.

>If yes.. how?

Try using "testOnDemandRTSPServer" -  instead of "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" -
as a model.  Note, however, that you will need to modify
"MPEG4VideoFileServerMediaSubsession::createNewStreamSource()" (in
"liveMedia/MPEG4VideoFileServerMediaSubsession.cpp") to read from your
device source, instead of a "ByteStreamFileSource".

>  Your suggestions in the faq
>
>--------"In "test*Streamer.cpp", change "destinationAddressStr" to the
>(unicast) IP address of the intended destination. In the corresponding
>"test*Receiver.cpp", change "sessionAddressStr" to "0.0.0.0". ------
>
>don't seem to work. Should i open url in vlc like rtsp://0.0.0.0 ?

That suggestion in the FAQ) will work only for streaming servers that
*don't* include a built-in RTSP server.  (See
<http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#unicast>)

>p.p.s: Why realPlayer( version 10 ) doesn't read streams from
>testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer ?

Because it (RealPlayer v10) is buggy.  I've reported this to RealNetworks,
but I don't know when/if they'll ever fix it.