[Live-devel] Real works over gprs testOnDemandRTSPServer not

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon May 10 11:41:48 PDT 2004

>Well, on Monday I contacted my ISP and signaled the problem, they are
>still investigating to see
>if something could block UDP packets.. i hope i'll receive an answer in a
>couple of days.
>But i realized a very strange thing... the RealNetworks helix streaming
>server ( that we intend to replace with our app ) combined with Real
>producer .. when runs on the linux box with gprs modem ... IT WORKS!!!
[...]
>this is netstat from the server when server resides on gprs network and is
>HELIX Server
>    -server using HELIX rmsrvr                  ( 212.141.107.25 )
>    -player using RealPlayer                    ( 192.168.1.53 )
>         result : SUCCESS                            ( we can see video
> stream very well! )
[...]
>Isn't it strange? And i bet that Helix is streaming Multicast!

No, it's probably streaming unicast.  But what's probably happening is that
Helix (upon request from RealPlayer) is streaming RTP over *TCP* (i.e.,
over the RTSP TCP connection), thereby bypassing whatever firewall you have
that is (apparently) blocking UDP packets.

Fortunately, though you can do the same thing if you use
"testOnDemandRTSPServer" as your server, and "MPlayer" as your
client.  Give MPlayer the
         -rtsp-stream-over-tcp
option (see <http://www.live.com/mplayer/>), and it will ask the RTSP
server ("testOnDemandRTSPServer") to stream RTP data via TCP, rather than UDP.

This is not the best solution, though, because streaming media (audio,
video) is best sent using UDP, not TCP.  The best solution will be for you
to fix whatever is blocking UDP packets.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>