[Live-devel] Variable Bitrate Source

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu May 13 03:54:11 PDT 2004

>I have previously posted a similar question which is reading a buffer and
>streaming it using RTP. From the FAQ, I can use a FramedFileSource which
>reads in frame size and frame duration. But the new problem is that the
>buffer contains contents with different bitrate. For example, at t1, the
>bitrate maybe 200kbps and at t2, the bitrate maybe 500kbps. Therefore the
>frame size is varying. I was wondering how can I use the existing library to
>stream a VBR buffer?

You should implement a subclass of "FramedSource" that delivers frames to
the client.  See the "DeviceSource" code for a model for how to do this.

For VBR data, it is important that the "fDurationInMicroseconds" field be
set correctly for each frame that is delivered to the client.  This ensures
that the client (e.g., a 'RTPSink') will stream the frames out at the
correct rate.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>