[Live-devel] live streaming on FreeBSD

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sat May 22 20:43:05 PDT 2004

>    Can live.com take a live feed as input?

Yes, see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput>

>  Can live.com encode to MPEG4?

The LIVE.COM code (currently) doesn't include any encoders or
decoders.  However, if you have a way of generating encoded MPEG-4 video
and/or audio data (e.g., using hardware, or some other software, such as
"ffmpeg"), then you can stream it using the LIVE.COM code.

See the "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" test program for an example of code that
will stream a (raw) MPEG-4 video stream.

>  Can
>live.com hint and stream over HTTP a Quicktime file that Quicktime can
>understand and play?

First of all, 'hinting' is merely a performance optimization trick that is
used by the Darwin Streaming Server (aka. QuickTime Streaming Server).  If
you are using some other server  - such as, the LIVE.COM RTSP server code -
then you don't need to 'hint' the file.

If by "a Quicktime file" you mean a ".mov" file, then no, the LIVE.COM code
currently doesn't support reading (and streaming from) such a
file.  However, it does support reading (and streaming from) *raw* data
files - e.g., raw MPEG-4 video, or MP3 audio files.

Also, the LIVE.COM code streams using RTP (the standard protocol for
audio/video streaming) - not HTTP.

I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the various LIVE.COM 'test
programs' - see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/#testProgs>

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>