[Live-devel] Can the max packet size be changed?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Nov 1 18:30:55 PST 2004

At 05:47 PM 11/1/04, you wrote:
>hi, all
>
>what does determine the max packet size which is
>streamed by livemedia? May I change the value from
>1450 to 2000 or something else?

Actually, the current value of "maxPacketSize" - as defined in
"MultiFramedRTPSink.cpp" - is 1448, not 1450.  (You should make sure you're
using the most up-to-date version of the code.)

You can certainly change this to something else, but you shouldn't increase
it unless your network's MTU is at least as large - otherwise you'll end up
with IP-level fragmentation, which is bad (because the loss of any one IP
fragment causes the entire IP datagram to be discarded).  Most Ethernets
have a MTU of 1500 bytes, but if you have a network with a larger MTU, then
you can set "maxPacketSize" larger.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>