[Live-devel] changelogs & patches

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Nov 15 16:20:40 PST 2004

I want to be sure that people are downloading and using the complete,
latest version of the code whenever possible.  That's why we don't provide
version 'diffs' (which can easily be misapplied), nor keep old versions of
the code available online.  Tech support can become a nightmare if it's not
clear exactly what version of the code people are working with.

For this reason, I also encourage people to - wherever possible - *not*
make their own custom changes to the existing code, but instead to
modify/extend the code via subclassing, and use different source code
directories for your additions.  That way, the LIVE.COM code can just be
replaced, in total, whenever a new version is used.  (This, BTW, also
simplifies peoples obligations under the LGPL.  By leaving the original
code unchanged, and just linking against it, your customizations may be
kept 'closed source', and your product release need only mention the URL of
the (unmodified) LIVE.COM code: <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/>.)

If, for some reason, you feel that you the existing code should be modified
in some wat to make it easier to extend via subclassing, then let me
know.  (Plus, of course, changes that add general functionality will always
be considered.)

I will continue to try to mention major changes to the code in the
"changelog.txt" file (although very minor changes sometimes don't get
mentioned).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>