[Live-devel] problems with VPN

Richard Guy Briggs richard.briggs at lumenera.com
Tue Nov 23 11:01:15 PST 2004

Oleg Ivanov wrote:
> RF> That's odd...
>
> RF> I wonder if perhaps the problem might be multicast-related.  Have you also
> RF> tried running the unicast version of the streaming server - i.e.,
> RF> "testOnDemandRTSPServer"?
>
> RF> 	Ross Finlayson
>
> yeah, I tried not only multicast. In fact, I have my own test project
> built over liveMedia's ones, which uses TCP for
> both RTSP communication and data transfer. It always has problems
> with the VPN, receives several packets and then - hangs. In debugger,
> I can see that during exchanging RTSP messages between the RTSP Server and the Client, if
> the VPN is presents, my Client gets stuck in recvfrom(...) waiting for
> the PLAY response and stays there for ever. So, in my situation it
> looks a bit different, but still - the VPN means troubles.

In a former life, I maintained the kernel bits of the Linux FreeS/WAN
IPsec project.  A VPN means trouble for multicast because that problem
is not solved yet in the IETF.  Does your VPN config have any way of
configuring your multicast needs in addition to the unicast addresses?
I wouldn't blame your VPN if it doesn't handle it.  This would explain
why the RTSP setup works, because that bit uses unicast.

Use unicast for RTP as well.

--
Richard Guy Briggs
Senior Software Engineer