[Live-devel] MP4V-ES

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Oct 11 14:31:00 PDT 2004

>   I'm tried to understand what is done to the stream on the client side,
> before it is sent
>to the decoder, in the case where the stream is declared as MP4V/ES in the
>session
>description.

The RTP payload format for "video/MP4V-ES" (defined in RFC 3016) is very
simple: MPEG-4 video frame data is packed simply into RTP packets, with no
extra headers (apart from the usual 12-byte RTP header).

In the LIVE.COM code, incoming RTP packets of this type are handled by the
"MPEG4ESVideoRTPSource" class.

>I've tried to reproduce this by saving the RTP packet (without headers, of
>course)
>content, until I get a Mark set to 1 (end of frame I guess).

That is correct.

Another (simpler) thing you could do is just run "openRTSP" (see
<http://www.live.com/openRTSP/>) on the stream (assuming that it has a
"rtsp://" URL).  This will output a file that contains just the raw MPEG-4
video data - which is what you were trying to do.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>