[Live-devel] Beginners question

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Oct 18 12:08:17 PDT 2004

>I just tried to get livecaster running on my PC (Windows XP SP2, LAN address
>192.168.2.33) together with Winamp 5.02 & in_rtp.dll plugin.
>
>I have configured a local directory with MP3 files for streaming. The IP
>address I entered in Livecaster is 224.0.0.1. Portnumber: 60014.

You shouldn't use the multicast address 224.0.0.1 - that's reserved for use
by multicast routers.

Instead, I suggest that you delete your "SELF.txt" file, restart
"liveCaster" from scratch, and just use the multicast address (and port)
that it chooses for you.

Of course, to receive the multicast stream, your media player client
(Winamp) must be on the same multicast-connected network (e.g., on the same
LAN) as liveCaster itself.  If you have one or more routers between
liveCaster and your client(s), then they won't be able to receive the
stream, unless you have multicast routing (or tunneling) enabled.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>