[Live-devel] fJitter may be wrong?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Oct 22 05:44:23 PDT 2004

>           As I know, Jitter is standard deviation of inter-packet time

Not quite.  In the RTP specification (RFC 3550, section 6.4.1), the
"interarrival jitter" is defined as
         "An estimate of the statistical variance of the RTP data packet
       interarrival time, measured in timestamp units and expressed as an
       unsigned integer.  The interarrival jitter J is defined to be the
       mean deviation (smoothed absolute value) of the difference D in
       packet spacing at the receiver compared to the sender for a pair
       of packets."

>but As in the RTPSource.cpp:
>
>       fJitter += (1.0/16.0) * ((double)d - fJitter);
>
>       May be it is wrong??

No, because this is the same formula given in section 6.4.1 and Appendix
A.8 of RFC 3550.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>