[Live-devel] about the implementation of FEC for WLAN

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Sep 16 18:46:01 PDT 2004

At 12:19 AM 9/16/04, you wrote:
>Hi, Ross,
>   I have looked through some source code of liveMedia, and I think FEC
> can be implemented as the following,
>1. modify MultiFramedRTPSink to generate FEC packet every n Media packets.
>2. modify MultiFramedRTPSource to try to recover the lost media packets
>when necessary.
>   In order to simplify the whole process, I will reuse the same multicast
> address and port to send/receive FEC packets, so I use different SSRC
> within FEC packet to tell them from media packets.
>   Am I on the right way? thanks in advance.

Note that the LIVE.COM libraries are intended to be extended by
subclassing, rather than by modifying existing code.  In particular, new
RTP payload formats are implemented by writing new subclasses of
"MultiFramedRTPSink" - not by 'modifying' "MultiframedRTPSink".  That
should also be true for the RTP payload format defined by RFC 2733 (for
FEC) - which is what I presume you'll want to use.

Good luck.  (As always, though, if your company interested in paying to
have LIVE.COM assist you with this project, just let me know.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>