[Live-devel] MPEG-2 Program Stream trick play (pause/play only)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sun Apr 3 16:48:23 PDT 2005

>I am encoding a MPEG-2 PS with a MPEG-2 VES and a MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2
>AES from a chip encoder (Vweb VW2010) to file (test.mpg) then use that
>file as the test.mpg for live.com's testOnDemandRTSPServer.

This is a bad idea.  Instead of multiplexing together your Video and Audio
Elementary Streams into a Program Stream (which will then get demultiplexed
back to Elementary Streams for streaming), you should just stream your
Elementary Streams directly.

>What I find strange is that the DEBUG_TIMESTAMPS output shows zero for the
>video stream, packet presentation_time_stamp

That shouldn't happen and suggests that either your multiplexing into a
Program Stream was done incorrectly, or else the timestamps were bad in
your Video Elementary Stream to begin with.

The only known current problem with the LIVE.COM code's implementation of
streaming from a Program Stream is that - after a seek operation - audio
and video will be slightly out of sync.

In any case, as I noted above, you shouldn't be combining your Elementary
Streams into Program Stream.  Instead, just stream them directly.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>