[Live-devel] Testprog & groupsock problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Apr 13 03:49:48 PDT 2005

>In re-compiling the groupsocks lib, the error "
>Groupsocks(-1;239.255.42.42,1234,7) failed to join group :
>setsockopt(IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP)
>error : bad file descriptor " had be eliminated.
>
>But the "Unable to determine our source address : setsockopt
>(IP_MULTICAST_LOOP) " is still here. No multicast datagram have been streamed
>to the out on My PC. The groupsock doesn't arrive to determine my
>multicast adress source (by sending the multicast datagram).
>
>Do you have already got this problem on Cygwin or another ?

This may be a problem with Windows 98,  (Some older Windows systems have
problems with loop-back on outgoing multicast packets.)

I suggest trying again with the latest version (2005.04.13) of the
"LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code.  (In this version, if multicast loop-back
fails, then the code will try using "gethostname()" followed by
"gethostbyname()" to try to figure out your IP address.  Perhaps that will
work for you.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>