[Live-devel] frame-by-frame transmission of RTP video

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Apr 15 14:31:35 PDT 2005

>I've compiled the libraries and used the testProgs applications to test
>the transmission of video over RTP.  The testProgs work great, but require
>a video file (test.mpg).
>
>For my C++ application, I will be receiving single video frames from an
>external capture device and will need to send out video via RTP.
>
>Can anyone provide a pointer to where to start for using the libraries to
>stream video over RTP using a frame-by-frame approach?

David,

As a starting point, you will need to write a new 'source' class that
encapsulates video frames from your capture device.  For a model on how to
do this, see "liveMedia/DeviceSource.cpp".

Before I can give you a more detailed response, can you tell me:
- Does your capture device capture video frames only, or both video and audio?
- Does your capture device capture MPEG-1, 2 or 4 video?  And does it
capture discrete video frames, or does it capture an arbitrary (unframed)
sequence of video data?
- Do you want to stream via multicast (e.g., as demonstrated by the
"test*Streamer" demo applications), or via unicast on demand (e.g., as
demonstrated by the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application)?

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>