[Live-devel] Re: Adding new feature to Live.com : OnDemandMulticast

Achraf GAZDAR achraf_g at yahoo.fr
Wed Apr 27 10:09:15 PDT 2005

> Achraf,
>
> That's an interesting application - a video-on-demand service that takes
> advantage of multicast, but making multiple requests that arrive within a
> short period of time use the same multicast stream.
Ok Ross, but if we want we can change this period of time if we want that we share this multicast stream for a long period. This easly can be done by setting the AcceptedDelayTime parameter to a great value (more than the total size of the video, this an administration parameter). Hence we finf the same fonctionnality of OnDemandMediaSubsession with reuseFirstSource set to True, but this time using a multicast session!!!

> It's good that you were able to implement this by defining new subclasses,
> rather than by modifying the existing code.
Right, and we can easly add support of the same fonctionnality (onDemand multicast) for other video format (like it's done with classic unicast OnDemand)

> I'm not sure yet if I'll add this to the released LIVE.COM source code
> (because it's for a rather specialized application), but if others are
> looking to do something similar, they should find your work useful.
>
> Thanks for letting us know.

Ok Ross, thank you.

Best regards