[Live-devel] Receiving MPEG2-TS via RTP

Matni, Nikolai nmatni at oerlikon.ca
Wed Aug 24 12:48:21 PDT 2005

Hi Ross,

I've tried your recommendations, but I'm still not getting anything.  I first tried streaming locally to 127.0.0.1, but I got the following response.

Received DESCRIBE response: RTSP/1.0 404 Stream Not Found
CSeq: 2
Date: Wed, Aug 24 2005 15:13:09 GMT

I then tried streaming to your default "232.255.42.42", and this time, received a fail to connect() failed, Unknown error message.  I think the problem may be that the RTSP server isn't working in the streamer.  I checked an ethereal capture of the destination IP and and all packets were in UDP protocol, on port 1234.  I'm guessing that there should be some RTSP packets on port 554.  Furthermore, I can only open the stream in VLC using their UDP/RTP multicast option, and not their RTSP option.  I'm working on a network that passes through a proxy server and a firewall.  Could this be what's blocking the RTSP server from broadcasting?  I would think that it would also block my attempts to stream UDP packets.

Preferrably, I would like to be able receive and decode the raw udp packets.  Any advice in this matter would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks again for your help,
Nikolai