[Live-devel] WM RTSP support for live streams

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Thu Aug 25 16:21:25 PDT 2005

On 24 aug 2005, at 03:22, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> Anyways. like i said in the other mail. If we keep it in RTSPClient,
>> then it has to be corrected on the first SETUP call, but by that time
>> it is quite possible the endtime as already been retrieved by the
>> application from the mediasession.
>>

> Conceivably, yes, but for the two clients that I looked at just now
> - "openRTSP" and "VLC" - "session->playEndTime()" is not called
> until after the RTSP "PLAY" (and "MPlayer" doesn't check
> "playEndTime()" at all).  So I don't think that this is worth
> worrying about.

OK, I have made a patch to support live MS RTSP broadcasts. Some
information about MS RTSP

1: When using VLC, make sure your international settings are set to a
country that uses . as the float separator. (This is the range/radix
bug discussed on the list before)
2: Set vlc rtsp and mms buffer to 5000
3: Set vlc rtsp to TCP, seems to work much better

Test URLs
On Demand: rtsp://media2.hosting.nob.nl/nob/test.wmv
Live: rtsp://streams01.hosting.nob.nl/test

The on demand stream should already work in 0.8.2 if you use the
instructions mentioned above.
Patch for live streams attached. It's not really nice, but it works.

Besides this i have found that RTSP streams stop after about 2:20 or
so, when using VLC.
I have made ethereal captures from both VLC and WMP10. Both with the
On Demand sample.

WMP10: http://sidekick.student.utwente.nl/videolan/wm10.eth
VLC: http://sidekick.student.utwente.nl/videolan/vlctimeoutfiltered.eth

It seems that WMServer doesn't understand RTCP (like VLC server
basically). I think the WMP10 is sending an empty GET_PARAMETER at
120 or so secs into the capture (i believe this corresponds with
about the 60s point of the stream) to indicate liveliness to the server.

DJ