[Live-devel] Re: Audio Video Synchronization

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Aug 29 14:38:40 PDT 2005

>We have an embedded client with a lesser CPU speed.As it is a closed
>and lossless network, we could do away with RTCP without any issues.

No you can't, because - as I explained earlier - RTCP is used not
just for packet loss reporting, but also for audio/video
synchronization.  It adds very little overhead, and you have no
credible reason not to implement it.  Just create a "RTCPInstance"
for each "RTPSource" object in your receiver.

>Can't we synchronize the audio and video using the RTP info from the
>PLAY response.

That might work initially, but over time, you will still need
information from RTCP Sender Report packets to do proper synchronization.

Once again - RTCP is *not* optional.  But fortunately, it's supported
easily in the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>