[Live-devel] Streaming m4v to 3G mobile phone by usingtestMPEG4VideoToDarwin.exe

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Aug 30 02:19:42 PDT 2005

At 01:00 AM 8/30/2005, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am currently developing a project based on both Darwin Streaming
>Server and the testMPEG4VideoToDarwin executable. The server side
>streams the m4v file and gives the sdp pointer reference (ex:
>rtsp://192.168.x.x/test.sdp). I do manage to read that file from a
>remote computer (using realPlayer or quicktime) but while staying on
>the same LAN. My wish is to manage that on two computers located on
>different LANs. I'm using a modem router which sets me the server's
>public IP address to connect to. However, the client still doesn't
>manage to read the file the server is streaming and I can't solve
>that problem !!!
>
>Is that because I am not opening all the ports Darwin Streaming
>Server needs to streams the file ? (if yes, which are they ?) or is
>it because of something I'm apparently missing ...

If unicast RTSP/RTP streams work over a LAN, but not over a
wider-area network, then the reason is almost certainly that there's
a firewall somewhere that is blocking UDP packets.  (I doubt the
"LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code has anything to do with your problem.)

As I said in an earlier message: Either fix the firewall (preferred),
or else tell your RTSP client to request RTP streaming over TCP,
instead of UDP.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>