[Live-devel] Motion JPEG Streaming slow

Choy Kam Heng khchoy at ceoconsultancy.com
Sat Dec 17 16:54:03 PST 2005

Dear Ross,

I am working on Motion JPEG streaming where video received from the camera is written to the shared memory while the JPEGSource class read the video from the shared memory and RTSPServer stream it over to the Quicktime player.

When the network is fast enough, the video is written into the shared memory at about 27-28 frame per second BEFORE the video is streamed over to the Quicktime player.

After the video is started to stream over to the Quicktime player, the speed of the video received from the camera and writting to the shared memory reduced half, ie about 13-14 frame per second. My stream server is running Debian Linux with 2.4 kernel, i wonder this is caused by the poor 2.4 kernel's process sceduling because 2 parties (receiving video from camera and writing it to shared memory AND RTSPServer) may competite with each other for the process scheduling. Any idea, please ??

Thanks for your help.