[Live-devel] DSS streamed .mov files and live.com

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Feb 9 13:35:45 PST 2005

>No, the opposite.  How can LIVE.COM 'receive' a broadcast from Darwin
>Streaming Server. For example, you can place a .mov file in the /movies
>directory of DSS and open it with QuickTime Player like
>rtsp://127.0.0.01/test.mov.  For DSS to handle this, it needs a 'hnti'.  How
>would I go about in LIVE.COM to add this functionality?

I think you may be missing the point of 'hinting' files.  This is something
that is done to a file only to make it streamable from a DSS/QTSS, and it
affects only the server.  It has no effect on RTSP *clients*; they don't
know or care whether or not the stream comes from a hinted file.

RTSP clients - as always - access a stream using a "rtsp://" URL.  RTSP
clients that use the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code - e.g., "openRTSP",
"VLC", "MPlayer" - use this URL to open and play the stream.  Once again,
this has nothing to do with 'hinting', which affects only the server (and
only if the server is a DSS/QTSS).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>