[Live-devel] Darwin Streaming Server and Audio Problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Feb 18 01:59:05 PST 2005

>I'm working on an audio broadcasting implementation with LIVE.COM and Darwin
>Streaming Server.  I have a QuickTime audio encoder which I am broadcasting
>to a DSS server.  I can play the audio back fine with the QuickTime Player.
>However, with LIVE.COM, I am having problems.

How, specifically, are you trying to use the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media"
software?  Are you running "openRTSP", to record a RTSP/RTP audio stream to
a file?

>   I get the audio packets
>seemingly OK.  They seem to be the right size.  I also use the generic QT
>packetizer for audio.  When I decode the audio packets and write it to a
>.wav file (for testing) it is not producing the audio that I expected.

Note that 16-bit samples in PCM audio RTP streams are *big-endian*, by
definition, whereas in WAV files, they're little endian.  If you use
"openRTSP" to record a PCM RTSP/RTP audio stream into a file, and then just
add a WAV file header on the front, the audio won't be correct.  Instead,
you'll need to byte-swap the audio samples before writing them to a WAV file.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>