[Live-devel] Broken Pipe during RTP over TCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Feb 22 07:01:38 PST 2005

>Then, I'm developing a sort of RTSPServer for live cams under Linux, and
>I'm testing the RTP over TCP with 'mplayer -rtsp-stream-over-tcp' command.
>
>When I quit MPlayer, it receives a SIGPIPE(also with RTP over UDP).
>
>Unfortunately, in the TCP case, the library doesn't delete RTSPClientSession
>and the state of my application becomes inconsistent!

The failure to delete the "RTSPClientSession" shouldn't cause the
"RTSPServer" to 'become inconsistent'; it should just continue to attempt
to stream over the (now broken) TCP connection - which will be a NOOP.

At some point in the future, the RTSPServer implementation will need to
have a mechanism for automatically reclaiming "RTSPClientSession"s that
have become inactive after a certain period of time - e.g., 90 seconds,
which is what the DSS uses.  (This inactivity would be determined by the
lack of incoming RTCP reports from the receiver.)  As a side effect, this
will also end up closing sockets that have died.  Adding this reclamation
mechanism isn't currently a high priority, though.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>