[Live-devel] RTSP Seek problems

Philippe Bridant philippe.bridant at smartjog.com
Tue Jan 25 17:28:15 PST 2005

Ross Finlayson wrote:

 >> My problem is that I cannot know if (and if yes how many) incoming
 >> frames (after the seek) the lib send me.
 >>
 >> What would be helpfull:
 >> - Being really *SURE* lib live buffers have been flushed after a
seek command.

 > I'll see if I can do this.

Perfect

 >> OR
 >>
 >> - Having the RTP timestamp instead of the of the calculated PTS as
the third argument of the AfterGettingFunc function.

 > Here you're a bit confused.  The presentation time (that's passed to
the 'after getting function') is just computed from the RTP timestamp,
so knowing the RTP timestamp would give you no extra information.

Yes but forgeting the RTP timestamp is an information loss.
One other is that the currently given timestamps makes difficult (and
not generic) the way to compute the position in stream when playing.

 > Note that any code that makes use of the LIVE.COM libraries should
never have to know or care about RTP timestamps - the underlying
LIVE.COM libraries (at both the sender and receiver ends) automatically
converts presentation times to/from RTP timestamps.

I totally agree this philosophy! But in the same way that "RTP sequence
numbers" can be retreived using "RTPReceptionStats", I think the "RTP
timestamp" should be retreivable using for example
RTPSource::getCurrentRTPTimeStamps()". This would just be an additional
(and totaly optional) information.

--

Philippe Bridant

philippe.bridant at smartjog.com