[Live-devel] Problem about on-demand unicast live streaming

worm520 worm520 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:47:34 PDT 2005

Dear all:

After doing some source tracing, I still feel a little frustrated in
solving my problem. Hence I post this meesage and hope for your help
or some hints.

The FAQ mentions that one can pipe stdin of the test***Streamer with
the stdout of a encoder to do live streaming. I tried and it works
fine.  Next, I'd like to apply it to the testOnDemandRTSPServer (I
modify the inputFileName as "stdin") but get into troubles:
If the stdin is from a local file ( via I/O redirection ), the player
(such as VLC ) just receives some last several frames of the file from
the testOnDemandServer. When I try to pipe it with an encoder, nothing
is played. I did some source tracing and sees that some unknown
FramedSource not the ByteStreamFileSource associated with stdin calls
doGetNextFrame()  and reads bytes repeatedly.

My application needs on-demand unicast live streaming since the
receivers may be located in different subnet and cannot receive the
multicast packets. Is it impossible for the current library support or
I missed some details ?

Thanks and thanks, I beg your help.

worm