[Live-devel] Problem about on-demand unicast live streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Jul 1 11:03:45 PDT 2005

At 04:47 AM 7/1/05, you wrote:
>The FAQ mentions that one can pipe stdin of the test***Streamer with
>the stdout of a encoder to do live streaming. I tried and it works
>fine.  Next, I'd like to apply it to the testOnDemandRTSPServer (I
>modify the inputFileName as "stdin") but get into troubles:

You should also change the variable "reuseFirstSource" (near the top of
"testOnDemandRTSPServer.cpp") to "True".  This tells the server not to try
to create a new copy of the input source (in this case, 'stdin') for each
new client, but instead to reuse the existing source.

>If the stdin is from a local file ( via I/O redirection ), the player
>(such as VLC ) just receives some last several frames of the file from
>the testOnDemandServer.

The change noted above will probably fix this.

>When I try to pipe it with an encoder, nothing
>is played. I did some source tracing and sees that some unknown
>FramedSource not the ByteStreamFileSource associated with stdin calls
>doGetNextFrame()  and reads bytes repeatedly.

If you're still having problems with this, then try the following:
1/ Create a data file with output from your encoder.
2/ Rename this file as "test.<whatever>" (e.g., "test.m4v" for MPEG-4
Elementary Stream video).
3/ Run the (original, unmodified) "testOnDemandRTSPServer", and see if you
can play a stream from your file.  If you can't, then your file is probably
in the wrong format, and you'll need to check the settings on your encoder.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>