[Live-devel] Integrate multicast and on-demand unicast efficiently

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jul 4 14:00:59 PDT 2005

>Two instances of ServerMediaSession are added to the rtspServer
>instance where one for multicast and the other is for on-demand
>unicast. However, the performance is not efficient. I guess this is
>because each server media session creates its framed source and reads
>from the source individually. Since the sms for multicast reads and
>sends continuously, the schedule for on-demand unicast may not be
>fair. Would it be better if we read only once and send the packet for
>all the currently possible sinks including multicast and on-demand
>unicast ? Does the present programming model support it ? Or I need to
>modify or extend an existing class ? If so, which one is appropriate
>in your opinion

It sounds like you will need to modify your input source object to deliver
to *two* downstream objects rather than just one.  The easiest way to do
this is probably to have your input source class create two dependent
objects (of some new "FramedSource" subclass).  This new "FramedSource"
subclass would - as usual - implement "doGetNextFrame()".  In this case,
"doGetNextFrame()" would ask the parent input source object for data.  The
parent would deliver data, but would handle new incoming data (i.e., from
the input encoder device) only when both dependent objects have been served.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>