[Live-devel] Integrate multicast and on-demand unicast efficiently

worm520 worm520 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 19:59:09 PDT 2005

Dear all:

I'm proceeding to integrate the testMPEG4ESVideoStreamer and
testOnDemandRTSPServer to do live streaming. What I first try is as
follows:

Two instances of ServerMediaSession are added to the rtspServer
instance where one for multicast and the other is for on-demand
unicast. However, the performance is not efficient. I guess this is
because each server media session creates its framed source and reads
from the source individually. Since the sms for multicast reads and
sends continuously, the schedule for on-demand unicast may not be
fair. Would it be better if we read only once and send the packet for
all the currently possible sinks including multicast and on-demand
unicast ? Does the present programming model support it ? Or I need to
modify or extend an existing class ? If so, which one is appropriate
in your opinion¡H

BR.
Worm