[Live-devel] liveMedia appropriate?

Dan Stanfill livedel at pinniped.com
Fri Jul 29 16:00:15 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am now looking over the liveMedia test programs and deciding whether the
live.com
libraries are appropriate for my application and thought someone might
have a
quick pointer...

Basically, I am adding a server to the voice chat used in games. Since the
server will be remote, I am assuming that it is going to want to both send
and receive unicast packets, not multicast.

First, the server would have to collect a group of clients in a session,
so that only members of that session hear the voice chat. Then, each
client streams his voice packets to the server, who forwards them to each
of the other clients.

The first version of the server can punt on mixing,
and just restrict talking to one client at a time. Later I would like to
have multiple clients talking and the server sending the mixed stream
down, but that has its own issues (you don't want to get your own voice
back, so there would have to be some smart mixing and different streams
happening).

We want to be able to dynamically switch codecs also.

Anyone have thoughts about the utility of RTP and the live.com libraries
for this
application? If you think it is a good match, do you have some pointers on
where to look for examples of how to do some of this?

If you don't think it is a good match, do you have other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Dan