[Live-devel] How many rtsp feeds is "reasonable"?

Neil Alexander nalex at hand-off.com
Wed Jun 15 14:31:38 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've based my application on the "ondemandrtspserver" sample. I have
created and run multiple rtsp servers simultaneously, and they seem
to be working OK - so far.

Question, though, is how many servers are "reasonable"? Also, I infer
that each viewer requires a separate rtsp server. I tried to do a
multicast, but it screws up the network pretty badly. I was told my
network was defective - but I don't see how.

My source is usually around .5Mb / sec, though I will adjust some
sources down to around 150 Kb / sec.

Anyway, if I wanted 3 people to view the same source, I need to
create three separate rtsp servers, and let the subsession subclass I
created deal with distributing the source to the servers. Is this a
good approach?

I don't think multicast is an option because some of the viewer(s)
will be outside the LAN. I assume I'll need to use Darwin injector or
an rtsp relay to get it outside the firewall. Is this also correctly
inferred?

Is there anything about the rtsp servers that I should watch out for
if I use multiple instances?

Thanks!

Neil Alexander