streaming server: Windows-based or Unix (was Re: [Live-devel] LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'msvcirt.lib'

B Yen byen at dslextreme.com
Sun Jun 19 21:52:42 PDT 2005

on 6/19/05 7:17 PM, Ross Finlayson at finlayson at live.com wrote:

>> I followed your suggestion, and re-generated the make files as Unix
>> configuration files
>> using config.cygwin.
>>
>> 5 of the six libraries compiled and linked immediately:
>> UsageEnvironmnet
>> BasicUsageEnvironment
>> Groupsock
>> liveMedia
>> testProgrs
>>
>> However, the 6th library (WindowsAudioInputDevice) is proving to be
>> slightly more challenging.
>
> If you had run "make" at the top level - as you were supposed to - you
> would not have even attempted to build that directory :-)  That directory
> is supposed to be built only on Windows proper - using the
> "WindowsAudioInputDevice.mak" file with native tools such as Visual
> Studio.  It was not intended to be built using 'Unix-like' environments -
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> even environments such as "cygwin" that run on Windows.

My situation is that my ISP (Pair.com) uses Unix FreeBSD based servers.  I
want to try a simple *live* AudioCast, nothing fancy.  I'm looking for
software/hardware solutions.

If I try to do the above (get the open-source code as a running app on the
streaming server), is it too difficult?  I have a deadline of 2 weeks, so I
have to avoid any extensive time/energy to do debugging.
---------------------------------

Here's my situation:

I'm currently doing some LiveWebcasting via pic/video updates:

http://www.jumplive.com
http://www.jumplive.com/main.html

I just did the Baja 500:

http://www.jumplive.com/baja500/index.html

I uploaded 2 .wav files of race-traffic (time delayed):

http://www.jumplive.com/baja500/index.html#raceaudio

[ one of them is a 47mb .wav file..took THREE HOURS to upload from my
satellite-DSL unit on my 4x4 van.  It has dial-up upload speeds ]

-------

My next step is to do some LIVE audio-streaming.

I will be feeding an audio signal (from my radio-scanner) to the audio-jack
of the PC.  The "software solution" will digitize it, compress it (MP3 or
RealAudio codec, or WMA codec), save to disk (lossless format), send to
Pair.com server.  I'm using a Direcway satellite-DSL, which has dial-up
upload speeds (56kbps).

I liked this Shoutcast.com solution:

http://www.shoutcast.com/support/docs/docs.phtml?filenumber=20&language=engl
ish&layout=normal&prevlayout=normal

but, Pair Support is saying it won't work (they say I need a Unix FreeBSD
solution):

------------
 Actually in most cases you would need to
have a dedicated server to stream real time audio.  Both Shoutcast and
Pirateradio.com do not appear to be able to work on a Unix system.  You
would need something that is compatible with a Unix FreeBSD system.
Also because of the large amount of bandwidth that streaming real time
audio uses you would want to have a dedicated server for this or you would
have a large amount of over-usage fees.

The Real Media file should be stored as a .ra or .rm file.  The .ram file
would just point to the Real Media file.  Unfortunately we can not offer
any assistance in how to create the file as it is outside our realm of
support.  I would suggest asking someone in our newsgroups.

Someone told me another audio-streaming solution had a .pls file, that
clients were downloading.  What's that?

Here's another solution:

mms://winaudio.mshow.com/237590.asf

Is this a Windows Media solution?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

I also found the solution by Spacial Audio using SimpleCast:

http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/simplecast/

---------