[Live-devel] Trouble with testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer

Chandra Raghavan chandrashekar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:07:10 PST 2005

Hi:
I emailed the folks at ffmpeg who pointed me to following:

- 00 00 01 E0: This is the stream-ID for video stream 0. Which is fine
according to ISO11172-1 pg. 20 and 24.

Also, mpeg_stat was ok with the re-encoded file.

else {
    // Because we don't see any more slices, we are assumed to have ended
    // the current picture:
    ++fPicturesSinceLastGOP;
    ++usingSource()->fPictureCount;
----->    usingSource()->fPictureEndMarker = True; // HACK #####

----> At this place in the MPEG1or2VideoStreamFramer, when the stream
id is seen instead of a slice header, the picture end marker is
wrongly set.

Could this be fixed so that the Framer doesn't indicate an
end-of-frame when the stream id  (00 00 01 E0) is encountered?
Thank you!
Chandrashekar(Chandra)

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:34:31 -0800, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live.com> wrote:

> >I'm having a few problems streaming an MPEG2 file that I re-encoded
> >using ffmpeg.
> >
> >- Original file: http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~chandra1/RedsNightmare.mpg
> >- ffmpeg command: ffmpeg -i RedsNightmare.mpg -ps 242 -qmax 4 Red-qmax242.mpg
> >- Re-encoded file: http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~chandra1/Red-qmax242.mpg
>
> The problem is that your re-encoded file contains syntax errors.  In
> particular, every 2048 bytes in the file (i.e., at 0x800, 0x1000, 0x1800,
> etc.), the following 4 bytes appear, for no apparent reason:
>          00 00 01 E0
> This is a MPEG system code that should not be there.
>
> The LIVE.COM MPEG parsing code (correctly) complains about this.  (Media
> players are apparently more forgiving.)
>
> The problem appears to be with "ffmpeg".
>
>         Ross Finlayson
>         LIVE.COM
>         <http://www.live.com/>

   _ /\ _      Chandrashekar
   \ oo /      National University of Singapore
   /_  _\      Computer Engineering
      \/         Class of 2005